Inspired by the Kansas City style of barbecuing and his love of flavors from the comfort foods of the southern United States, Lance closed his restaurant Rusk to embark on a new direction. One fueled by apple, oak and cherry wood.
Many thought he had gone completely mad, even his wife.
His love of BBQ began with a meal he had at a sports bar on his last night while holidaying in New York City, which he said, “Blew his mind”. He returned to Melbourne inspired and ready to start smoking. Lamb cooked overnight in the embers of the grill, smoked pork ribs or brisket all appealed to Lance’s slow food sensibilities. The enthusiastic response of guests at Rusk to his BBQ specials was enough to convince him that he’d found a niche that hadn’t yet been tapped.
After time spent in pit master classes back in the USA and eating his way through Kansas City BBQ restaurants, he opened Big Boy BBQ, the first of the American style BBQ restaurants in Melbourne. The opening of a sister restaurant the city followed the success of his cookbook Temples of BBQ, winner of the in the Gourmet summit awards.
The recipes he’s provided here are more indicative of the food he cooks at home for his family. There is always a little bit of BBQ, such as the beef rib taco along with soulful food like southern fried chicken and fruit crumble.
Beef Rib Tacos
- 2 beef ribs with 3 bones
- Cracked black pepper
- Pickled onion
- 2 red onions
- 2 cups red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- Sour cream
- Soft tacos
- Remove the membrane on the back of the ribs and trim off any excess fat from the top of the meat.
- Season with a thin coat of salt, a thick blanket of cracked pepper and a little paprika.
- Smoke at 135°C for 7 hours (or slow roast in an oven) until tender. I don’t wrap, spritz or cover the meat at all.
- To make the pickled onions, bring the vinegar, water, salt and sugar to the boil.
- Pour the hot mixture over the thinly sliced red onion and allow to cool. The pickled onions will last for three weeks.
Slice the rested beef rib, place the sour cream on the tacos, top with the sliced beef, pickled onions, avocado and coriander.